Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Roasted Vegetable Goat Cheese Pasta


I don't know why I have been on a roasting kick lately. Before I started doing this blog, I probably hadn't roasted anything in months. It could be that there is all this yummy-looking produce out now that spring is upon us, and that the high temperatures just bring out the caramelized goodness in all those foods. I have been thinking about goat cheese on pasta ever since I saw this recipe for Asparagus, Goat Cheese and Lemon Pasta over on smitten kitchen pinned on Pinterest a few weeks ago. Combine that with this Martha Stewart recipe for Pasta with Goat Cheese and Roasted Asparagus, and I was sold.

You may notice in the photo above that my asparagus pieces do not have heads. Feel free to include the heads, but I am much more a fan of the crunchy stalk part than the finely textured, almost feathery heads, so I chop off the heads when I trim off the bottoms as well. Weird, I know.

My sister came for dinner the weekend before last, and I made a turkey breast I'd had in my freezer for a while. What with her not being a fan of goat cheese, I decided to make the pasta as a "side" for my turkey leftovers. I've also had a larger portion of it as a stand-alone meal, and it works great in both respects.

Roasted Vegetable Goat Cheese Pasta

1 box of pasta (about 14.5 oz)*
2 large sweet onions
1 c. grape tomatoes
1 large bunch (2-3 inches in diameter) asparagus spears
4 Tbs. olive oil
Salt & pepper
~ 5 oz. softened goat cheese
1 c. reserved pasta water

*I used 1/2 Barilla Plus Rotini and 1/2 Barilla Whole Grain Rotini.

Preheat oven to 450F. Chop the onions into pieces the size of the grape tomatoes. Slice the grape tomatoes in halves. Toss with 2 Tbs. olive oil, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, and spread in a jellyroll pan. Trim the asparagus spears into about 1 inch chunks, remembering to trim and discard the bottom inch or so (and the heads if you're strange like me). Toss with the other 2 Tbs. olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and spread in a second jellyroll pan. You want them in separate pans because the timing is different.

Cook the pasta according to the package directions. While it is cooking, place both pans of vegetables into the oven. The asparagus will be done in about 15 minutes. I tend to stir every 7-8 minutes or so. The tomatoes and onions will take a little longer, probably closer to 30 minutes. I test doneness by taste; I like my asparagus still crisp-tender, but my onions and tomatoes beginning to caramelize.

Drain the pasta, reserving 1-2 cups of the water. Return to the pot, and mix the vegetables in. Add the goat cheese and 1 cup of the reserved pasta water, stirring over low until the sauce has melted together. You may need to add more pasta water, depending on how saucy your pasta looks. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment