Friday, March 16, 2012

Leftover Pork BBQ Sandwiches




So, I roasted a 4 pound pork loin this week. At the time, I sliced half of it to eat for leftovers, and the other half I sliced into narrow, thin strips/chunks, about 2inx2inx7in. I promptly put said chunks into the freezer because I didn't know when I'd have time to cook again and I didn't want them going bad before I could use them. Well, this afternoon, I ran out of leftovers, and I unexpectedly had some extra time on my hands.

After much googling, pork barbeque seemed like the best (i.e. tastiest/easiest) option for my leftover roast. I highly recommend a food processor for this recipe, as I'm not entirely sure of the best way to shred roasted pork by hand. Normally, I prefer Bull's Eye Original for my barbeque sauce (described to me by a friend at one point as the grown-up version of ketchup), but I had an open bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's in the fridge, so that's what I used.

Leftover Pork BBQ Sandwiches

6 sandwich rolls, and I highly recommend making Crusty French Rolls
~ 3 c. roasted pork loin (mine was leftover from this)
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 large sweet onion, cut into sixths
4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 3/4 - 2 c. BBQ sauce
salt and pepper to taste

I defrosted my hunks of pork tenderloin while I was making the rolls. Place the onion and garlic into the food processor with the chopping blade and pulse until they are finely diced, but not liquid. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saute pan until a sprinkle of water sizzles and dances across the surface. Add the onion and garlic mixture to the oil and cook until the onions are translucent, but not browned.

While the onion mixture is cooking, swap the chopping blade for the shredding/grating disk in the food processor. While the food processor is running, use the food chute to push the strips/hunks of pork through the processor until they are shredded. Add the now-shredded pork loin to the saute pan to heat through. Mix in the BBQ sauce, and simmer on medium-low for about 20 minutes, until heated through and well-flavored. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve about 1/2 c. of pork mixture per roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment