Saturday, March 10, 2012

Waffles



Apologies, but I was out of town skiing in Whistler. I made these lovelies before I left, topped with a little maple syrup. What I actually did was mix all of the dry ingredients and store them in an airtight container for a few days until I had a morning slow enough to be able to make them. The recipe made 7 waffles in my Belgian waffle maker. With the leftovers, you let them cool, and then place them in the freezer in a Ziploc. The following morning, you just pop one straight from the freezer into the toaster (or in my case, toaster oven) until they are hot and crispy. Homemade eggo's, essentially. This is not a light recipe, but it is a wonderful indulgence. I will continue to experiment with other recipes to find something a bit lighter for day-to-day breakfasts.

Waffles (from Southern Living)

2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbs. + 1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. vegetable oil

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Stir until thoroughly combined. Combine all of the wet ingredients (eggs, milk, oil) and whisk them together in a large measuring cup. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones, and stir with a whisk until everything is moistened. The batter will still be a little lumpy, and it will make some bubbling sounds. I used about 3/4 cup of batter per waffle in my belgian waffle maker, and I had to turn the cook time (it has an automatic timer) up one more than I usually do to get them appropriately brown and crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment